Monday, December 19, 2011

Little Wooden Cross

Tonight I've been making a little wooden cross for my friend in Michigan, Joy.  It's gone pretty well so far.

I started out with just a slice off of a relatively small log.  Then I got some help from my fiance, Grant, in sawing down the edges to make it into a basic  cross shape.

After that I just dug it out more with the knife, rounded the edges better, and sanded it down pretty well.  I'm still not finished, but this is what it looks like so far:




Perdy sweeet....  =D

I think I'm gonna try making more of these, as well as other shapes for necklaces.  That'd be really awesome and great for gifts!!  

Grant and I are trying to make some coffee mugs for the siblings for Christmas.  They still don't know what we're making.  I think they think it's just going to be containers for us.  But nope!!!  It's for them!!!

We're taking advantage of the fact that they don't know and getting them to help out with the fire and everything.  We're using the hot embers in order to burn out the logs.  

Basically, we just drilled large holes out in the logs we cut.  Then we're starting a fire in the grill.  When some of the wood has burned really well, there's red hot embers left, which we pick up and place in the holes we cut in the wood.  

And pretty much after that, we just blow on the embers and allow it to burn the wood.  Kinda like how the Indians made canoes.  Course, we gotta replace the embers after a while.

And watch out for sparks that wanna fly up into your face!!!  I think I've gotten hit with those at least 3 times now....  2 of them landed on my nose and 1 nearly went in my eye.  Luckily, I snapped it shut in time!!!  Still hurt though....

So yep....  It's been pretty fun doing this stuff lately...  We just gotta try to get everything done in time for Christmas!!!  And try to keep it a surprise....

Well, that's it for now.

~Courtney~

No comments:

Post a Comment